but, then, these usually are, aren’t they?
* – so, the NFL kicks off a new season tonight. I am, of course, PUMPED! For what it’s worth, here’s my fearless prognostication for the upcoming season:
AFC East: Pats, Bills, Jets, Dolphins
AFC North: Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Browns
AFC South: Texans, Titans, Colts, Jags
AFC West: Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders
AFC Playoff Seeding: Pats, Steelers, Texans, Broncos, Ravens, Bengals
AFC Champs: Steelers
NFC East: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins
NFC North: Packers, Lions, Bears, Vikings
NFC South: Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs
NFC West: 49ers, Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams
NFC Playoff Seeding: Eagles, Niners, Packers, Saints, Giants, Lions
NFC Champs: Eagles
NFL Champs: Eagles
Yes, it hurts to say my Falcons won’t even make the playoffs (I think they’ll win nine or ten games and just miss out), but the bottom line is that they stayed stagnant during the offseason, imho, while other teams improved, so…
* – my fantasy football league had its draft last Sunday night. For the first time in I don’t know how long I didn’t protect any players from the previous season and started from scratch. My roster looks like this:
QB – Eli Manning, Jay Cutler
RB – Matt Forte, Doug Martin, Frank Gore, Isaac Redman
WR – Hakeem Nicks, Miles Austin, Kenny Britt, Robert Meachem, Justin Blackmon
TE – Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez
K – Garrett Hartley
D/ST – Texans, Giants
I truly don’t know how I feel about this team. I don’t see any duds, but I also don’t see any superstars, except maybe for Manning and Graham. Thoughts?
* – For the first time in over a decade I was in a wedding. Last Saturday my friends Jeremy and Mary got hitched. Congrats to them, and many thanx for the Scotch eggs!
* – cool shot of a great white hunting seals.
* – so, really, is anybody surprised I find this funny?:
* – I wish I had taken classes from this guy:
* – no, Pamela Anderson, NOOOOO!!!!
* – hmmm, maybe the Red Dawn reboot won’t be so bad after all…
* – a Beverly Hills Cop reboot in the form of a tv series?
* – a Star Wars sitcom?!
* – I’m pretty sure my son felt this way when he went back to school yesterday:
One does not simply go back to school. There is evil there that does not sleep.
* – oh, I can see Little Man and I fighting over the PS2 soon…
* – now this is some pretty cool tech:
* – RIP, Neil Armstrong.
* – RIP, Steve Van Buren.
* – RIP, Johnny Pesky.
* – RIP, Horshack.
* – RIP, Phyllis Diller.
* – RIP, Tony Scott.
* – RIP, Michael Clarke Duncan.
* – do you have any idea how much I love the fact that The Expendables 2 was #1 in the country for two weeks in a row and is still in the top three after last week?
* – hey, Dave Mustaine, do you have any idea how stupid you sound?
* – oh, this must drive the Libs NUTS!
* – this guy is our president, ladies and gentlemen. Take a good listen.
* – I’ll say it again, this guy is our president.
* – I mean, fer crissakes, the guy’s campaign is making Romney “offers he can’t refuse.”
What a fucking joke.
* – note to self – don’t light Dennis Miller’s fuse.
* – it’s almost not worth pointing out the stupid gaffes this administration makes.
* – “nothing” has been asked of the rich in this country, Joe Biden? Seriously?
* – oh, well, we wouldn’t want you to suffer heatstroke or something, Joe (facepalm!).
* – well done, Mr. Thomas.
* – somehow, I missed posting this entry from Kemtee the last time around.
My apologies, ma’am.
As per usual, she is brilliant. Both at shredding Obama’s “You didn’t build that” dumbassery and at pointing out the fallacy behind the idea that we all owe the government because of schools and roads and bridges, etc., etc., etc…
* – as a follow-up to Kemtee, here’s a great Trifecta piece from Bill Whittle, Steve Green, and Scott Ott:
* – look, I’m no fan of abortion, but Rep. Todd Akin has got to be one of the dumbest mothereffers on the planet. Really, Todd? No, really?
* – remind me to never see this doctor.
* – voter ID is the equivalent of rape?! Seriously?
* – these are “Republican” women? Really?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
* – wait, I thought the Dems were all about women?
* – and we’re the racists?! Really, Toure? Really?
* – we’re the racists.
* – we are.
* – yeah, us.
* – nice shot, George Will.
* – oh, and we’re also guilty of waging a “war on women.” Don’t forget that.
They paid tribute at their convention last night to a man who left a college girl to drown in a car he drunkenly drove off of.
The keynote speaker at their convention is a man who habitually cheated on his wife and sexually harassed women while he was a governor.
But we’re the ones who disrespect women.
* – remind me not to move to Montana.
* – wow, another random act of journalism by Anderson Cooper.
* – and a random act of journalism by Wolf Blitzer!
It just hasn’t been a good time for Debbie Wasserman-Schultz lately, has it?
* – I don’t think Chris Matthews will ever be accused of committing an act of journalism.
* – if we ever considered Fareed Zakaria a journalist, we certainly shouldn’t now.
* – I wouldn’t call this assclown a journalist, either.
And now that Yahoo!’s fired him, I won’t have to! :)
* – conservatives being environmental? No way!
* – let’s talk about what energy sources are unfairly subsidized, shall we?
* – the Lightbringer does so love his executive orders, doesn’t he?
* – given that I’ve been described by some people who know me (or at least have been reading here for some time) as really more libertarian than conservative, this was a worthwhile article for me to read.
* – an interesting – if brief – history of Congress’ power to tax.
* – some pretty damn good speeches at the RNC, huh?
* – yeah, this would be an example of why I like Paul Ryan.
* – and this.
* – so where are these “fact-checkers” when you need them?
* – let’s fact-check those fact-checkers, shall we?
* – just too good to pass up:
* – we’re holding up Nidal Hasan’s trial over his freaking beard? Seriously? OY!!!
* – I’m glad I don’t live next door to this woman.
* – can I please do one of these posts without having to talk about the nanny state?
* – I mean, asking a deaf boy to change the way he signs his name? C’mon!
* – asking a girl to remove a picture of her brother from her school binder because it’s a picture of him in his military uniform?
* – heaven forbid we feed disadvantaged children out of the goodness of our hearts.
* – nothing to worry about from Iran, folks. Nothing at all.
* – if this is how Norway treats mass murderers, I’m glad I don’t live there.